13' March'2016
Today I returned after completing TEN day Vipassana Meditation Course in Delaware,US. I wanted to go for this since quite a long time but may be this was the right time.
I do not know why I did not realize while applying for this course that it will be a difficult one. Only half of new students were able to complete the course. Mostly left because they had wrong expectation before coming for this course. So, it was difficult but why?
Daily Routine:
04:00 AM - Wake Up
04:30 - 06:30 AM - Meditation in Hall or room
06:30 - 08:00 AM - Breakfast and rest
08:00 - 11:00 AM - Meditation in Hall
11:00 - 01:00 AM - Lunch and Rest
01:00 - 05:00 PM - Meditation in Hall and Room
05:00 - 06:00 PM - Break
06:00 - 07:30 PM - Meditation in Hall
07:30 - 09:30 PM - Discourse in Hall
09:00 PM - Lights Out
So, each one of us has to wake up at 4 AM and sit for meditation for more than 10 hours. In the beginning it was difficult and was test of once will power.
Vow of Noble Silence: No one was allowed to speak or to even make an eye contact with any one. Students were only allowed to talk to instructors in case anything required. Use of phone, any electronic gadget, reading or writing material was prohibited and we were not allowed to keep any with us during this period.
The course was intense and it needed good amount of physical and mental strength to complete leave aside doing it in perfect way. The main objective was to teach Vipassana Meditation. Vipassana was the technique, used by Gautama Buddha. And using this technique maximum number of souls got liberated in past. It is said to be most simple but difficult technique. Course's objective was to tech this technique so we can learn and use in our daily lives. Expecting any instant relief from your problems would not be fair.
Vipassana has three parts:
1. Sila - Morality
2. Samadhi - concentration, mastery of mind
3. panna - wisdom, insight that purifies the mind
First this technique works to sharpen the mind of student. We were asked to observe our breath and focus on area near our nose if we are able to feel any sensation and later after three days we started observing the sensations on complete body. These sensation helps us to realize that everything will change and to be equanimous in any situation be it of pleasure or pain. Students are asked neither to averse any kind of sensation nor to crave for. So, in nut shell two words define this technique.
a.) Attention
b.) Equanimity
First to observe the sensation in body and observe these sensations with equanimity as they will change with time.
Gautama Buddha gave this technique 2500 years back. It was found that cause of our happiness and sorrow is in the response to the sensations which our body creates in response to outer world. Objective is NOT to react to these sensations and look at them objectively.
I am able to observe the results in myself there is more calmness, compassion and equanimity then I had earlier. But one needs to practice hard. Kind of thoughts which I had during these days were really inspiring and of another level. After returning I watched an audio from Mandela and I found that there is some level of difference very intrinsic between great souls and others and meditation works at that level.
This journey has very unique quality. Unlike other journeys it bear fruits in the beginning, during the journey and ultimate bliss in the end!
Be Happy!
PS: This course is free(including food and lodging) and operational on the donations from old students and students who completes the course. It is taught by S.N Goenka's audio and videos. I would recommend it to all.
https://www.dhamma.org
Today I returned after completing TEN day Vipassana Meditation Course in Delaware,US. I wanted to go for this since quite a long time but may be this was the right time.
I do not know why I did not realize while applying for this course that it will be a difficult one. Only half of new students were able to complete the course. Mostly left because they had wrong expectation before coming for this course. So, it was difficult but why?
Daily Routine:
04:00 AM - Wake Up
04:30 - 06:30 AM - Meditation in Hall or room
06:30 - 08:00 AM - Breakfast and rest
08:00 - 11:00 AM - Meditation in Hall
11:00 - 01:00 AM - Lunch and Rest
01:00 - 05:00 PM - Meditation in Hall and Room
05:00 - 06:00 PM - Break
06:00 - 07:30 PM - Meditation in Hall
07:30 - 09:30 PM - Discourse in Hall
09:00 PM - Lights Out
So, each one of us has to wake up at 4 AM and sit for meditation for more than 10 hours. In the beginning it was difficult and was test of once will power.
Vow of Noble Silence: No one was allowed to speak or to even make an eye contact with any one. Students were only allowed to talk to instructors in case anything required. Use of phone, any electronic gadget, reading or writing material was prohibited and we were not allowed to keep any with us during this period.
The course was intense and it needed good amount of physical and mental strength to complete leave aside doing it in perfect way. The main objective was to teach Vipassana Meditation. Vipassana was the technique, used by Gautama Buddha. And using this technique maximum number of souls got liberated in past. It is said to be most simple but difficult technique. Course's objective was to tech this technique so we can learn and use in our daily lives. Expecting any instant relief from your problems would not be fair.
Vipassana has three parts:
1. Sila - Morality
2. Samadhi - concentration, mastery of mind
3. panna - wisdom, insight that purifies the mind
First this technique works to sharpen the mind of student. We were asked to observe our breath and focus on area near our nose if we are able to feel any sensation and later after three days we started observing the sensations on complete body. These sensation helps us to realize that everything will change and to be equanimous in any situation be it of pleasure or pain. Students are asked neither to averse any kind of sensation nor to crave for. So, in nut shell two words define this technique.
a.) Attention
b.) Equanimity
First to observe the sensation in body and observe these sensations with equanimity as they will change with time.
Gautama Buddha gave this technique 2500 years back. It was found that cause of our happiness and sorrow is in the response to the sensations which our body creates in response to outer world. Objective is NOT to react to these sensations and look at them objectively.
I am able to observe the results in myself there is more calmness, compassion and equanimity then I had earlier. But one needs to practice hard. Kind of thoughts which I had during these days were really inspiring and of another level. After returning I watched an audio from Mandela and I found that there is some level of difference very intrinsic between great souls and others and meditation works at that level.
This journey has very unique quality. Unlike other journeys it bear fruits in the beginning, during the journey and ultimate bliss in the end!
Be Happy!
PS: This course is free(including food and lodging) and operational on the donations from old students and students who completes the course. It is taught by S.N Goenka's audio and videos. I would recommend it to all.
https://www.dhamma.org
No comments:
Post a Comment